[backdated for chronological order]
Recoup of the mysterious running issues that started last fall.
- "Service Engine Soon" light flashes randomly when driving
- This happens very often when you hit a bump, but it also does it randomly on an even road
- "Security" light flashes less randomly when driving
- (referring to the VATS chip in the ignition key)
- Tachometer jerks up and down randomly, maybe +/- 500-1000 RPMs
- Speedometer jerks less randomly
- Engine dies semi-randomly when driving or taking off
- After the engine has died, the SES light sometimes stays lit, other times it's off
- No error codes given by the ECM, ever, despite the SES light
Steps taken last autumn (Oct 2012):
- Switched from E85 (Ethanol) back to E95 (Regular Gasoline)
- Injector cleaner stuff added to gasoline
- PCV Vent replaced (Standard Motor V178)
- old one was making a rattling noise, although it was less than 6 months old
- TBI injectors and their filters taken out and cleaned with a carburetor cleaning spray
- Stream from the injectors looks clean, stable and has a conical shape like it's supposed to.
- Spark Plugs 1-7 replaced (AC Delco R45TS)
- Plug no. 8 was impossible to reach in the freezing weather....
- Spark Plug Wires replaced (Standard Motor Products 7850)
- Distributor Cap replaced (Standard Motor Products DR468)
- Distributor Rotor replaced (Standard Motor Products DR326)
- Battery replaced (62 Ah)